Monday, May 6, 2013

Best & Worst Feedback


What was your favorite poem? Your least favorite poem? Why?
My favorite poem was “A Blessing” by James Wright, mostly because it was about a setting and feelings that I’m familiar with and love. My least favorite poems were the imagist poems. So much description in only a few lines they’re over way too soon!
What was your favorite short story? Your least favorite short story? Why?
My favorite short story was “The Story of an Hour.” It’s just one of those “well dang” kind of moments to be so excited and have that excitement ripped right out from under you. I know that feeling all too well and I’m grateful I don’t ever die of heart failure when it happens to me. My least favorite short story was Bartleby. So long and dry…it was hard to keep my attention to it.
Should next semester's ENGL150 students read Death of a Salesman? I don’t see why not, but I don’t know what other options you would consider either. It’s a deep story when you get into it a little more, something for everyone to take away from it.
How did you feel about watching Hollywood versions of Bartleby and Death of a Salesman? Is there utility in seeing a visual version of something you're responsible to read?
I did not enjoy Bartleby in film or on paper but seeing film versions is always beneficial to me, being a visual learner. I take a lot from facial expressions and movements even if it is left up to director and actor interpretations.
What was your favorite in-class activity? What was your least favorite in-class activity?
I liked getting intro groups to talk about Death of a Salesman. Since it’s our biggest paper for this class, it’s nice to collaborate with others and get verbalize your ideas.
You'll notice that I didn't have your small groups present (even though the syllabus claimed you would). Did you miss that? Would you have rather that whole-class discussions were led by students doing presentations?
I don’t even remember anything about a presentation on the syllabus, so no, not missed. Group projects are a favorite of few being that one person always ends up doing all the work it seems. I think that student led discussions through presentations would be interesting, maybe one or two students per poem or story?
Finally, what are your feelings on the creative blog entries? Which entry did you enjoy most? Least? I wasn’t thrilled about it at first, I think it could easily be done through Blackboard rather than having each student make a blog account. I liked the Facebook blog the most, I got to be really creative (I did not actually make a Facebook for Louise Mallard; picture editing is just a beautiful thing.) I didn’t really have a least favorite but if I had to pick I’d say the Lottery post. It wasn’t so much creative as it was analytical.

1 comment:

  1. I need to alter my instructions to include the idea that people are technologically sound and can do picture editing... ;)

    ReplyDelete